Outer Banks History Center Finding Aids

A-B

A-B

A

  • Abstracts of Columbus County, N.C., Court Minutes, 1984 - 1988
    Columbus County, named for Christopher Columbus, is located in the southeast section of North Carolina. It was formed in 1808 from parts of Brunswick and Bladen counties and is approximately 954 square miles. The county seat is Whiteville. This collection consists of four volumes of abstracts of court minutes from Columbus County from 1819-1852. They were transcribed by Jason Williamson between 1984-1988. (4 items)
  • Abstracts of Court Minutes, Columbus County, N.C. Superior Court of Law and Equity, circa 1988
    Columbus County, named for Christopher Columbus, is located in the southeast section of North Carolina. It was formed in 1808 from parts of Brunswick and Bladen counties and is approximately 954 square miles. The county seat is Whiteville. This collection consists of one volume of abstracts of court minutes from Columbus County Superior Court of Law and Equity from 1817-1850. They were transcribed by Jason Williamson in 1988. (1 item)
  • Abstracts of Deeds, Columbus County, N.C., 1975 - 1989
    Columbus County, named for Christopher Columbus, is located in the southeast section of North Carolina. It was formed in 1808 from parts of Brunswick and Bladen counties and is approximately 954 square miles. The county seat is Whiteville. This collection consists of seven volumes of corrected proof copies of abstracts of deeds from Columbus County, 1808-1860. They were transcribed by Jason Williamson between 1975-1989. (7 items)
  • Abstracts of Wills, Columbus County, N.C., 1984
    Columbus County, named for Christopher Columbus, is located in the southeast section of North Carolina. It was formed in 1808 from parts of Brunswick and Bladen counties and is approximately 954 square miles. The county seat is Whiteville. This collection consists of one volume of abstracts of wills of Columbus County, transcribed by Jason Williamson in 1984. (1 item)
  • Articles About Outer Banks and Regional Dialects, 1996 - 2003
    The North Carolina Language and Life Project (NCLLP) was established in 1993 at North Carolina State University. Its purpose is to focus on research, graduate and undergraduate education, and outreach programs related to language in the American South. This collection features two volumes of articles compiled by the North Carolina Language and Life Project for North Carolina State University. (.38 cubic feet)
  • Austin, Andrew S., Collection, 1800 - 1989
    Andrew S. Austin, a native of Hatteras, North Carolina, acquired a tract of land in the 1950s from the heirs of George S. Rollinson and Jesse Rollinson. According to public records of Dare County, the last land transaction that affected this parcel of property, prior to Andrew Austin's acquisition, was in 1849. After Andrew Austin's death, the tract, which borders the Cape Hatteras National Seashore, was divided among his children. In 1985, Howard Phipps, Jr. and his wife, Mary N. S. Phipps, filed a lawsuit against eight Hatteras families, claiming that they were the owners of the property as a result of land transaction that originated with a land grant to a Georgia A. Gaskins in January 1910. The "Gaskins Grant" was a large tract of land that described 400 acres or more and ran several miles along the oceanfront in the Hatteras-Frisco area. Six of the eight families named in the lawsuit claimed their ownership through Andrew S. Austin and were represented by Kitty Hawk attorney Roy A. Archbell, Jr. Though it became apparent that the Phipps' claims, under the Gaskins Grant, would be defeated, it also appeared that they had other potential claims to the same property through George Rollinson. Since both sides recognized the extreme difficulty in establishing the true dividing lines between the George Rollinson parcels, they decided to settle the litigation. As a result there was never a final court adjudication. The materials in this collection are Archbell's research materials and court documents. They include: correspondence, photographs, genealogical information, deeds, land surveys, maps, witness depositions, and trial exhibits. (7.66 cubic feet)

B

  • Baum Family Papers, 1700 - 1984
    The Baum family has a long history of living on the Outer Banks; it is likely it is one of the oldest families that settled there. The family can trace roots back to the early 1700s and owned extensive property in Currituck and surrounding counties. The materials in this collection primarily relate to the genealogy/family history of the Baum family of Currituck County. The collection includes correspondence, financial records, genealogical material, deeds, wills, publications and photographs. Many of the materials are photocopies and not original. (.15 cubic feet)
  • Baum, Lillie Jacob Baum, Diaries, 1900-1948
    Lillie Jacob Baum was born on April 6, 1868 in the Blackwater Community of Princess Ann County, Va. In 1892 she married her cousin, Dr. Julius Cephas Baum. She kept diaries from 1900 until 1948 about daily life on Pine Island on the Currituck Banks. Baum documented everyday life in a world that was changing rapidly. Her insights span domestic life (cooking, sewing, etc.) to her first ride in an automobile. The collection contains 46 diaries including genealogy notes and personal accounts.
  • Baum, Milford J., Papers, 1897-2003 (PDF)
    Milford Josephus Baum (1906-2006) was the son of Lloyd Curtis and Annie Frost Baum of Poplar Branch, North Carolina. Milford Baum served in the U. S. Army during World War II, rising to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. After his discharge in 1946, Baum went to work with the Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company (A & P), eventually becoming vice-president of the A & P Produce Division, middle west division. He retired in 1966 and returned to Currituck County, settling in Aydlett, where he operated a farm that he referred to as "Baum Shelter." He was also a member of the Currituck County Planning Board. An aviation enthusiast, he later became president of the First Flight Society and was instrumental in the planning of the celebration of the 75th anniversary of the Wright brothers first flight. The Milford J. Baum Papers contain materials related to the Baum family, as well as the First Flight Society and the 75th Anniversary of the First Flight Celebration. Included in the collection is correspondence, newspaper clippings, and photographs. (1.03 cubic feet)
  • Baum, Washington F., Papers, 1956-1983
    Washington Franklin Baum (1876-1967), a native of Wanchese, North Carolina, was the son of Somers and Mary Ann Wright Baum. He married Agnes Jones Baum in 1910. They had three children, Marjorie, Bessie, and Balfour. Baum was an influential figure in Dare County during its formative years. In 1924, he was elected to the Dare County Board of Commissioners and served a four year term. During that time he led a drive to build the first bridge connecting Roanoke Island to Nags Head. In 1928, Baum was appointed as the Dare County Recorder's Court Judge, a position he held until 1962. In that year, a new bridge between Nags Head and Manteo, that replaced the original span, was named in his honor. The Washington F. Baum Papers include correspondence, newspaper clippings, and photographs. (.38 cubic feet)
  • Bridgers, Captain Henry Clark, Jr., Steamboats of the Tar (River) Papers, 1819 - ca. 2000
    Captain Henry Clark Bridgers, Jr., (1913-1981) graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1935 after which he entered the Navy and graduated from flight training school in 1936 as an aviator, ultimately achieving the rank of captain in 1962. Bridgers suffered a heart attack in 1965 that forced his retirement from the Navy. Returning to his native Edgecombe County, N.C., he became a well-known local historian who wrote about railroads, banking and steamboats in eastern North Carolina. At the time of his death in 1981, Bridgers had spent years researching and writing a manuscript entitled Steamboats on the Tar that remains unpublished. This collection consists of an unpublished manuscript in three versions and related research materials entitled Steamboats of the Tar. Included are books, maps, photographs, notes, correspondence, clippings, and vessel enrollment forms pertaining to steamboats operating in eastern North Carolina waters from the early 19th century forward. (3.3 cubic feet)
  • Brown, Aycock, Papers, 1934 - 1965
    Aycock Brown (1904-1984) was a journalist, publicity director and photographer from Caldwell County, North Carolina. During the summer of 1928, Brown was hired to promote the Beaufort and Atlantic Beach area, after which he accepted a job promoting the Pamlico Inn on Ocracoke Island in exchange for room and board. Brown wrote a popular column, "Covering the Waterfront," that ran in newspapers across North Carolina. He also wrote for the Durham Herald, edited the Beaufort News and founded the Ocracoke Beacon. In the 1930s, he worked for the Beaufort Chamber of Commerce. Though some of the materials in this collection reflect Brown's later work in Dare County, the majority of these papers are from the time period that Brown worked for the Beaufort County Chamber of Commerce in the 1930s. (.68 cubic feet)
C-D

C-D

C

  • C. D. Mann General Merchandise Records, 1919-1940
    S. E. Mann General Merchandise was located in Manns Harbor, North Carolina, from 1919 to 1940. It was owned and operated by Samuel E. Mann and his son Carl D. Mann until the death of Samuel in 1921, when the business became known as C. D. Mann General Merchandise. C. D. Mann also owned several other businesses in Manns Harbor, including a saw mill, a dry cleaning service, the Croatan Theatre, and a service station. The C. D. Mann General Merchandise Records relate to the C.D. Mann Store and include invoices, bank statements, and correspondence. The invoices, in particular, provide a fascinating glimpse into the local economy and the availability and cost of various commodities and services. (1.42 cubic feet.)
  • Champney, James Wells, Sketchbooks, 1862-1863
    James Wells Champney was born in Boston, MA in 1843. He studied drawing and took classes in anatomy at the Lowell Institute under Oliver Wendall Holmes. He serve in the Union Army during the Civil War along with his cousin and fellow artist, Edwin Graves Champney. Champney was a member of Company G, Forty-Fifth Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Militia and was stationed at Fort Macon and Fort Spinola (near New Bern). Discharged because of malaria, he returned to civilian life and taught drawing from 1864-1866 at Dr. Dio Lewis's Young Ladies Seminary. Two books of sketches were rendered while Champney was stationed in North Carolina during the Civil War. They depict camp life, rural scenes, ships, artillery and portraits of people, including soldiers and African-Americans he encountered. Some of the places he sketched include scenes from Fort Macon, Fort Spinola, Reidsville, New Bern and Morehead City. (2 items.)
  • Civil War Era Manuscripts, 1861 - 1863
    North Carolina's Outer Banks was the setting for two important Civil War conflicts. Union victories at Hatteras Island and Roanoke Island early in the war placed the area under Federal control and extended their blockade to the Southern Coast. The Civil War Manuscripts collection contains a Confederate requisition, a receipt, and an accompanying pass issued to soldiers. (3 items)
  • Civil War Letters, 1861 - 1864
    North Carolina's Outer Banks was the setting for two important Civil War engagements. Union victories at Hatteras Inlet and Roanoke Island early in the war placed the area under Federal control and extended their blockade to the Southern Coast. This collection contains a group of letters written by soldiers during the Civil War. Topics discussed in the letters include: Fort Hatteras, the Fort Hatteras garrison flag, Camp Raleigh, Camp Brightwood, provost duty, the Burnside Expedition, the victory at Roanoke Island, and army food rations. Transcripts of all letters are included. (.19 cubic feet)
  • Civil War Union Army Pension Claims Collection, 1890 - 1925
    North Carolina, a state with divided political allegiances during both the Secession Crisis and the Civil War years, seceded only after President Lincoln called for troops to suppress the states in rebellion. In May 1861 North Carolina became the tenth state to join that rebellion. After the capture of Hatteras Inlet by Federal forces in August 1861 and the successful Federal Burnside's Expedition into coastal North Carolina in February through April 1862 much of coastal North Carolina became occupied by Union forces. The occupation created a situation that presented North Carolinians the opportunity to join either Union or Confederate military forces. Collection includes photocopied Federal pension applications and affidavits for soldiers and widows who resided in Dare or Currituck County. (1.4 cubic feet)
  • Cole, Carol Cronk Photograph Collection, 1897 - 1901 (PDF) 
    Corydon Pirnie Cronk began his career in the U.S. Signal Corps and was later stationed at the U.S. Weather Bureau at Cape Henry, Virginia around the turn of the 20th century. One of Cronk's duties was to inspect the telegraph poles that ran between government offices. In so doing, he traveled to the Weather Bureau stations at Kitty Hawk and Cape Hatteras. Many of the photographs in this collection show the destruction after the San Ciriaco Hurricane of 1899. Some of the photos are also in the H.H. Brimley Collection. It is not known whether Cronk obtained the images from Brimley or vice versa.
    This collection consists of 34 digital scans at 300 dpi, stored on a disc and hard drive, and 34 black and white prints.
  • Collection of Dredge and Fill Requests Near Whalebone Junction, 1973 - 1974
    In 1974, two separate permits were issued to dredge and fill portions of Roanoke Sound near Whalebone Junction. One was obtained by J. W. Korback, Jr., who wanted to dredge and fill for a fish hatchery. The second permit was issued to Causeway Properties, to dredge and fill for commercial or residential purposes. This collection contains materials that relate to these requests to dredge and fill Roanoke Sound in 1974. It contains correspondence, permits, and drawings of the area to be dredged. (16 items)

D

  • Daniels, Brockie, Papers, 1921 - 1964
    Brockie Daniels (1912-2007) was born in Manteo, North Carolina to Edward and Mary Wescott Daniels. She was one of five children. Daniels received her Bachelor of Arts in English in 1935 from the Women's College of the University of North Carolina. She was a World War II veteran, having served in the U.S. Air Force where she was stationed both in the United States and in the European theatre. She remained in the Air Force until her retirement in 1964. Daniels was also a member of Manteo Baptist Church for more than 80 years. The Brockie Daniels Papers consists of military records, photographs, college diplomas, and correspondence. (.97 cubic feet)
  • Dare Beaches Water and Sewer Authority and Dare Beaches Water Study Group Collection, 1970 - 1973
    In 1974, the towns of Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills, along with Dare County, established the Dare Beaches Water Study Group to find ways to provide adequate supplies of potable water throughout the Dare Beaches. On the recommendation of the Dare Beaches Water Study Group, the two towns and the county formed the Dare Beaches Water and Sewer Authority. Each folder in this collection contains a detailed outline of events concerning procuring water sources for the county. They were compiled by David Stick in 1997 and include correspondence, legal documents, meeting minutes, studies in water consumed, maintenance contracts, ordinances and a development plan. (.23 cubic feet)
  • Dare County Board of Education Records, 1882-1970 (PDF)
    Early residents of the Outer Banks of North Carolina who wanted to educate their children had to teach them or get help from their neighbors. The affluent could afford private teachers or to send their children to attend school elsewhere. Soon, people found it easier to band together and build one-room schools, and hire a teacher for a few months each year. Small schools were formed along the Outer Banks and school districts created. These districts had the authority to levy taxes for additional construction. These schools remained under the control of Dare County until 1931, when the School Machinery Act was passed by the North Carolina General Assembly. The Dare County Board of Education Records consist primarily of land deeds, correspondence, bank books, receipts, and insurance policies for both "white" and "colored" schools. (.48 cubic feet)
  • Drs. Frank Gates and W. W. Johnston Ledgers and Daybooks, 1891 - 1928
    Dr. Franklin P. Gates (1859-1922), a native of Kinston, North Carolina established a practice in Manteo after graduating from Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1886. He was the town doctor until shortly after World War I. Dr. Wiley Warren Johnston (1885-1978), a native of Brinkleyville, North Carolina, moved to Manteo in 1914 directly out of medical school and joined Gates' practice. Johnston was called into service in the U. S. Army Medical Corps during World War I, but returned to Manteo and resumed his practice with Gates. After Johnston's return, Gates began a practice in Norfolk, Virginia. Dr. Johnston practiced medicine in Dare County for over 40 years and was director of health departments in Dare, Currituck, and Hyde Counties for 25 years. This collection consists of daybooks and ledgers of Drs. Gates and Johnston. The books contain the day by day account of patients seen and medicines prescribed, charges rendered and bills paid. Also included in the collection are several pieces of correspondence, two prescriptions, several clippings from Time magazine, as well as serials on the production and handling of milk. (20 items)
  • Dough Family Papers, 1825 – 1950
    Most of the papers in this collection relate to the Walter Townsend Dough line of the Dough family. A native of Roanoke Island, Walter Dough was born in 1834 to Thomas Allen and Sarah Etheridge Dough. He was a commercial fisherman and was appointed the Dare County sheriff in 1875. The Dough family, which can trace its roots on Roanoke Island back to the 18th century, has a long history of working in the commercial fishing and boatbuilding industries, as well as serving in the U. S. Lifesaving Service and U. S. Coast Guard. The Dough Family Papers include correspondence, land surveys, land deeds, receipts, and court summons. (.24 cubic feet)
  • Dunes of Dare Garden Club Collection, 1966 - 2006
    The Dunes of Dare Garden Club was founded in 1967 and is fully affiliated with the Garden Club of North Carolina, Inc. and the National Council of State Garden Clubs, Inc. The Club's main purpose is to provide a nonprofit, philanthropic and educational association for the members and to encourage environmental improvement through civic development, beautification and the protection and conservation of natural resources. The Dunes of Dare Garden Club Collection consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, financial reports, photographs and material on various projects, awards, and programs as well as thirty-three scrapbooks containing the same. (8.88 cubic feet)
  • Duvall, C. C., Papers, 1900-1932
    Claude C. Duvall was from Mann's Harbor and was responsible for building the Fort Raleigh Hotel in downtown Manteo in 1930. This small collection contains mostly letters of recommendation written for C. C. Duvall by several companies in Dare County, including the Dareforest Store Company and The Bank of Manteo. (.25 cubic feet)
E-G

E-G

E

  • Edenton Peanut Company Letters, 1943 (PDF)
    The Edenton Peanut Company was established in 1909 by members of the Wood and Shepherd families. By the 1930s, Edenton was the largest peanut market in the state and the second largest in the world. During World War II, Mr. James Wood of Edenton served as the president of the Edenton Peanut Company. Wood, for whom the company's flagship product "Jimbo's Jumbos" was named, shipped five-pound bags of peanuts to every service member from Chowan County he could locate. Many wrote thank-you letters back to the company? some to Mr. Wood, some to other company officers, and some just to the company. The collection contains thank you letters written in June and July 1943 from men and women stationed at bases across the United States. The letters contain descriptions of service life, geography, and social interactions of the time. (29 letters)
  • Elizabethan Gardens Special Garden Areas Records, 1997 - 2000 (PDF) 
    The Elizabethan Gardens is a living memorial to the men and women of the Roanoke Voyages (1584-1587) who attempted to colonize the new world. More than 500 plant species are found within its 10-acre site on the north end of Roanoke Island, adjacent to Waterside Theatre. The Shakespearean Herb Garden, the Queen's Rose Garden, and the formal sunken knot garden are some of the Garden's features. The Elizabethan Gardens is also home to an impressive collection of statuary including an enthralling Italian fountain in the formal garden and a larger-than-life bronze statue of Elizabeth I, the largest likeness of her in the world. This collection was amassed by Kathy Mitchell, former employee of the Elizabethan Gardens, while she aided in the development of the special gardens areas. The collection is comprised of receipts, correspondence, diagrams, charts, labels, and plant lists relating to the renovation of the Rose Garden, the creation of interpretive labels for the Herb Garden and the design of a perennial border around the grand lawn. (.25 cubic feet)
  • The Elizabethan Gardens Records, 1953 - 2003
    More than 500 plant species are found within its 10-acre site on the north end of Roanoke Island, adjacent to Waterside Theater. The Shakespearean Herb Garden, the Queen's Rose Garden, and the formal sunken knot garden are some of the Garden's features. The Elizabethan Gardens is also home to an impressive collection of statuary including an enthralling Italian fountain in the formal garden and a larger-than-life bronze statue of Elizabeth I, the largest likeness of her in the world.

F

  • Fearn, Robbie, Papers, 1981 - 1994
    Robbie Fearn (1959- ) was born in Arlington, Virginia and grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. He began his theatre career as a child actor in Raleigh. After completing a B.A. in Communications and Theatre at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro in 1981, he began work at The Lost Colony drama as an actor-technician. During his tenure at The Lost Colony, he served as the play's Production Stage Manager, Technical Director, Production Coordinator/Technical Director, and the Assistant Director. Fearn served under directors Joe Layton and Fred Chappell, and General Managers Deloris Utley Harrell and John Summerton. The Robbie Fearn Papers contain information about The Lost Colony drama during Robbie Fearn's tenure with the production. The majority of the papers are production records and include personal notebooks and night-by-night notes of each performance. (1.67 cubic feet)
  • Fessenden National Memorial Society Records, 1927 - 1980
    Reginald Aubrey Fessenden (1866-1932), a radio pioneer, performed experiments on Roanoke Island and Hatteras Island, North Carolina, between 1901-1902. He is considered by many to be the "father of voice radio." Plans to memorialize his work in the area began in 1941. Members were recruited for the Fessenden National Memorial Association under the leadership of D. Victor Meekins. These plans were well underway by 1963. However, when Meekins died a year later in 1964, the group became inactive. Meekins' son Roger tried to resurrect the group, but in 1980, transferred the land they had set aside for their proposed memorial to the Roanoke Island Historical Association, the producers of America's longest running outdoor symphonic drama, The Lost Colony. The Fessenden National Memorial Society Records contains materials related to the Fessenden National Memorial Society and includes correspondence, meeting minutes, membership lists, bank statements, deeds, photographs, and press releases related to the USS Fessenden, a destroyer escort built for the U. S. Navy during World War II. (.24 cubic feet)
  • First and Citizens National Bank Minute Book, 1933-1969 (PDF)
    Due to its location, growth in trade, and ability to supply retail stores throughout the eastern Albemarle area, Elizabeth City, North Carolina was able to open two new banks in the 1890s – the First National Bank in 1891, and the Citizen’s Bank in 1899. These two financial institutions greatly expanded banking practices in the area and strengthened their positions by merging in 1918. This collection consists of a single minute book and includes records of the history of the bank, its directors, administrators, board members, and stockholders. It shows a record of loan approvals and rejections. (1 minute book and 1 folder of reports, resolutions, correspondence)
  • Frost, R. Oscar, Papers, 1914-1917
    R. Oscar Frost (1883-1980) was an African-American citizen of prominence in Currituck County. Mr. Frost was employed as a school teacher in Currituck County in the early part of the 20th Century and lobbied for improvements to schools for blacks. The Robert Oscar Frost papers consist of documents related to Currituck County's early black schools, personal financial records such as cancelled checks and receipts, insurance papers and correspondence. There are also items relating to the Knights of Pythias, Grand United Order of Odd Fellows, Frost's work at the Hampton Institute (Hampton, Virginia) and personal papers from the Frost and Wilson (Mrs. Frost's maiden name) families (Currituck County, N.C.). (.5 cubic feet)

G

  • Gaskill, Edith, Oregon Inlet and Wanchese Harbor Project Newspaper Clippings, 1965-2003 (PDF)
    This collection traces the history of the construction of the Wanchese Seafood Industrial Park and improvements to Wanchese Harbor in Wanchese, North Carolina, a fishing village on the south end of Roanoke Island. A component of the project was the stabilization of Oregon Inlet (the closest point of access to the ocean for local fishing boats) by the construction of jetties. Although charter and commercial fishermen, company owners, and residents have lobbied for 30 years, the jetties have never been built and the concept remains controversial. This collection consists of acid-free copies of newspaper clippings about Oregon Inlet, Wanchese Harbor, Wanchese Seafood Industrial Park, and jetties that were painstakingly collected by the donor, Edith Gaskill of Wanchese. (.38 cubic feet)
  • Gates, Frank
    See Drs. Frank Gates and W. W. Johnston Ledgers and Daybooks, 1891 - 1928
  • Graham, Lt. Harold L. Papers, 1933 - 1937
    The Works Progress Administration, later renamed the Work Projects Administration (WPA), was the largest of President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal agencies. It employed millions to carry out various public works projects, such as building and road construction. The first WPA workers were from the Transient Bureau and came to North Carolina's Outer Banks in 1934. Among other projects, they planted stabilizing grasses to create dunes along the ocean front and aided in the construction of the Waterside Theatre, where The Lost Colony drama is performed each summer. One of the chief projects of the WPA was the construction of dunes for over 100 miles of North Carolina's barrier islands. Lt. Harold L. Graham was an army Finance Officer stationed at WPA Camp Wirth located on the north end of Roanoke Island, North Carolina. The Lt. Harold L. Graham Papers include correspondence, receipts, financial records, and army training course books. (.19 cubic feet)
H-L

H-L

H

  • Hollowell, C. W., Family Papers, 1863 - 1939
    Christopher Wilson (C. W.) Hollowell (1821-1892) was born in Perquimans County, North Carolina but moved to Pasquotank County to manage the plantations of his cousin, John Hollowell and James C. Johnston of Hayes plantation. In addition to planting, one of Hollowell's business interests was the Nags Head Hotel, in Nags Head, North Carolina. The C. W. Hollowell Family Papers include personal and business correspondence, receipts, accounts of sales, insurance documents, genealogical notes and newspaper clippings. (.75 cubic feet)
  • Holmes, Randell Dare County Mainland Photograph Collection (PDF) 
    Randell Eugene Holmes was born in East Lake, N.C. on December 12, 1932, and has spent most of his life on Roanoke Island. Holmes has close and personal ties with several of the prominent families on the Outer Banks and Dare County Mainland. He has meticulously searched out and located images and documents pertaining to family members and friends throughout the region. The materials in this collection primarily relate to the genealogy and history of the East Lake and Roanoke Island area. The collection consists of 333 digital scans and 120 prints of people and places, in particular, members of the Basnight, Creef, Holmes, Mann, Pinner, and Twiford families, as well as others. The collection also features 30 digital scans, 6 prints, and 9 photocopies of documents and clippings pertaining to various members of these families. 600 dpi digital scans of each image are stored on a disc and a hard drive.

I

  • Icarus International and First Flight Rotary “Monument To a Century of Flight” Time Capsule Records, 2001—2005 (PDF)
    December 17, 2003 marked the 100-year anniversary of the invention of powered flight by Orville and Wilbur Wright at Kill Devil Hills on North Carolina’s Outer Banks. Aviation and history enthusiasts around the world celebrated the centennial at the National Park Service’s Wright Brothers National Memorial spearheaded also by the U. S. Centennial of Flight Commission and North Carolina First Flight Centennial Commission. In the years surrounding the centennial crescendo, many special projects and events added to the commemoration. One enduring project in the adjacent community of Kitty Hawk, at the Aycock Brown Welcome Center, is the addition of a dramatic, outdoor sculptural site to the Outer Banks landscape, the “Monument to a Century of Flight.” Hosted by the non-profit, Icarus International, the monument heralds the connection between creativity and invention. Ten years in the making, the project garnered local, national, and international involvement. The building of the monument, and an endowment for its perpetual care, were funded through a combination of public and private sponsorships and donations. From its inception, planners intended to incorporate a time capsule into the design of the monument containing thoughts and memorabilia from the people of 2003 to be gifted to the people of 2103. The First Flight Chapter of Rotary International coordinated the project while the Outer Banks History Center provided technical assistance. This collection consists of one pamphlet box containing 13 folders, exclusively in paper format. An item-level inventory of all contents of the time capsule is supplemented by planning committee and project records, artist’s renderings, dedication memorabilia, clippings, and ephemera. The inventory is cross-referenced in two ways, box-by-box and by donating organization. (13 folders, approximately .1 cu. ft.)

J

  • Johnston, W. W.
    See Drs. Frank Gates and W. W. Johnston Ledgers and Daybooks, 1891 - 1928
  • Jones, Roscoe C., Postmaster Appointment Certificates, 1922 - 1930 (PDF)
    Roscoe C. Jones (1885 – 1953) was born in East Lake to Asa Warren Jones and Martha Ann Creef Jones. After the death of his father, the family moved to Roanoke Island. He married Estelle Mann in 1906; they had four children. Jones served as Dare County Register of Deeds from 1911 to roughly 1916. He served as the first postmaster of the short-lived Griffin Post Office on Nags Head's sound-side, and later as Manteo Postmaster from 1922 until 1934. Jones was a member of Mt. Olivet Methodist Church in Manteo and the Junior Order of United American Mechanics. This collection consists of one box/folder, containing 3 Postmaster Appointment Certificates. (3 items)

L

  • Lawrence, David Howe, Papers, 1956 - 1998
    David Howe Lawrence (1919-2003) had a keen interest in protecting North Carolina beaches from erosion and invented a permeable groin, which he believed could stop erosion. In 1981, he formed Shoreline Associates, Inc. to market this idea. These papers consist of correspondence, newspaper clippings, documents relating to the patent of the permeable groin and Shoreline Associates, photographs of erosion and measures to control erosion. (.68 cubic feet)
  • League of Women Voters of Dare County Records, 1987 - 1996
    The League of Women Voters of Dare County is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. The Dare County group was formed in 1987 with 15 members. This collection consists of meeting minutes, newsletters, press notices, bylaws, correspondence, as well as information on fundraising and workshops. (1.17 cubic feet)
  • Lifesaving Stations of the Outer Banks Collection, 1874 - 1988
    The Lifesaving Stations of the Outer Banks Collection was researched and compiled by Steve Harrison, an employee of the National Park Service, Cape Hatteras Group who served as Chief of Resource Management, and relates to various stations of the United States Life-Saving Service along the Outer Banks. The collection includes station names, active dates, United States Coast Guard numbers, architectural style, location and rescue/wreck reports. (.3 cubic feet)
M-O

M-O

M

  • MacNeill, Ben Dixon, Photographs (PDF)
    Ben Dixon MacNeill (1889-1960) was born near Laurinburg, N.C. on Nov. 21, 1889. In 1920, MacNeill took a job with the News and Observer in Raleigh covering state government, the General Assembly, and other assignments. Impressed with his skill of enlivening the tedious, News and Observer editor Josephus Daniels assigned MacNeill as a roving state correspondent. In 1937, MacNeill became publicist for Paul Green's fledgling drama, The Lost Colony. Operating from the John White Cottage at the Old Fort Raleigh Complex, he wrote numerous articles which have been attributed to the play's early success. This collection contains 419 negatives, 294 8”x10” black & white prints, and 600 dpi digital scans of each image stored on a disc and a hard drive. Prints of select images were made when negatives were originally transferred by Museum of the Albemarle. (2 cubic feet)
  • Manns Harbor Community School Scrapbook, November, 1982 (PDF) 
    In November 1982, a tugboat struck and severed the William B. Umstead Bridge which links the community of Manns Harbor with Roanoke Island, and by extension, the rest of the Outer Banks. Students in the small mainland community were not able to reach their schools in Manteo for several weeks. During that time, the local community center was utilized as a school. This collection consists of one small scrapbook related to the Manns Harbor Community School. (1 small scrapbook)
  • Mann and Midyett Family Papers, 1751 - 1941
    The Mann and Midyett families have had a long presence in Northeastern North Carolina and can trace their roots back to the early 18th century. The papers in this collection are from the descendants of Joseph and Elizabeth Lockhart Mann, and William and Esther Midyett. The Mann and Midyett Family Papers include correspondence, receipts, deeds, financial information, and ephemera. There are also many documents on the sale, purchase, and hiring out of slaves belonging to the Mann and Midyett families. (.47 cubic feet)
  • Manteo Rotary Club Records, 1937 - 1997
    Rotary International is an organization with local chapters whose stated purpose is to "bring together business and professional leaders to provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world." The Manteo Rotary Club was chartered in 1936 and is in district 7720. This collection consists of correspondence, club records, and membership information. The collection covers 1937-1997, however there is a gap from 1951-1976. The materials in the original donation cover 1937-1951; the materials in the second donation cover 1976-1997. These papers belonged to Wally McCown and include McCown's correspondence, newsletters, district information, and club activities. (1.20 cubic feet)
  • Matlock Television Script Collection, 1989
    Matlock was a made for television legal drama set in Atlanta, Georgia, featuring Andy Griffith in the title role of Ben Matlock. The show aired on NBC-TV from September 1986-May 1992, then on ABC-TV, from November 1992-May 1995. The show revolves around a renowned defense attorney, who solves cases and wins almost every case he takes to trial. The show is similar in format to Perry Mason. The collection features two scripts from the episode "The Hunting Party," the show's fourth season premiere episode. It aired in 1989 and was set in, and filmed on, Roanoke Island. The collection also features the story outlines for three more fourth season episodes. (3 items)
  • Meekins, D. Victor, Prints from Glass Plate Negatives, 1900s -1920s (PDF)
    Daniel Victor Meekins (1897-1964) was born on the north end of Roanoke Island, and grew up with Dare County as well as in it. He served as Dare County sheriff and postmaster of Manteo, as well as chairman of the Dare County Board of Commissioners. Meekins started the Dare County based newspaper, The Dare County Times, which later became The Coastland Times and which is still published by the Meekins family. Meekins experimented with photography as a teenager. The 238 images he created between 1912 and 1925 represent some of the finest examples of life on Roanoke Island during the first quarter of last century. (238 Glass plate negatives)
  • Miller Family Genealogy Papers, 1785 - 1965 (PDF)
    The Miller family of Hatteras Island, North Carolina can trace its family back nine generations, beginning with Thomas Miller (b. 1785) who left 50 acres on Hatteras Banks to his son Thomas, Jr. The family has a long association with the U. S. Lighthouse Service and the U. S. Lifesaving Service. Baxter B. Miller was awarded both silver and gold medals for lifesaving and H. S. Miller was awarded the silver. The Miller Family Genealogy Papers contains genealogical materials: cemetery records, census records, birth records, and marriage records. (.61 cubic feet)
  • Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church Sunday School Records, 1893 - 1941
    Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church was founded in 1887, after a group of Manteo residents were organized by the efforts of circuit preacher Joseph G. Lennon. A half acre parcel of land was purchased for $26.50. The church, on the corner of Ananias Dare and Essex Streets, continues as an active congregation. The Sunday school records document attendance in various classes, names of pupils, teachers and administrators, and a weekly report on services and weather conditions for each Sunday.

N

  • Nags Head Hotel Account Books and Day Books, 1873 - 1892
    The Nags Head Hotel was the second hotel built in Nags Head following the Civil War. It was built partially over the sound in the vicinity of Jockey's Ridge. Ownership and proprietorship changed hands many times. Proprietors of the hotel include C.W. Hollowell, A.E. Jacobs, J.C. Perry and John Z. Lowe. During the 1890s, the Nags Head Hotel Company was formed and stock certificates issued. The hotel caught fire and was destroyed in 1903. Mrs. John Z. Lowe, wife of the proprietor, died during the fire from an apparent heart attack. The Nags Head Hotel Account Books and Daybooks consist of seven account and day books from the Nags Head Hotel Company. The collection also includes a freight book for the steamerClarence, and stock certificates issued to C. W. Hollowell. (7 items)
  • Nags Head, Town of, Papers, 1949-1997
    In the winter of 1997, the Town of Nags Head moved into its new municipal complex and donated material from the town's first two decades following incorporation. The Town of Nags Head Collection is primarily comprised of materials relating to their operations from 1949 to 1997 including correspondence, financial documents, board minutes, hearings, surveys and studies. (1.5 cubic feet)
  • National Audubon Society, Outer Banks Chapter Collection, 1979 - 1994
    The National Audubon Society, Outer Banks Chapter was formed in 1979 and disbanded in 1994. During its existence, the group donated the periodical Audubon Adventures to elementary schools in Dare County, gave educational programs in schools, assisted in a number of wildlife refuges and participated in birding trips. National Audubon Society, Outer Banks Chapter Collection consists chiefly of organizational materials, including board meeting minutes, attendance sheets, financial reports, correspondence and the constitution of the Outer Banks Chapter. There are also copies of newspaper articles, membership applications, certificates and photographs. (.3 cubic feet)
  • North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Master Gardeners Records, 1992-2004 
    The Master Gardeners program is part of the North Carolina State Cooperative Extension Service. The program provides educational opportunities for Master Gardeners, as well as a forum where Master Gardeners can exchange information and expertise with others. Members serve as volunteers to provide gardening expertise on the “Greenline” hotline and participate in outreach projects and fundraisers. The North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Master Gardeners Records consist of papers from the Dare Master Gardener Volunteer Association, and includes correspondence, photographs, meeting minutes, press releases, newspaper clippings, and a handbook. (.56 cubic feet)
  • Nunemaker, Carlton P., Papers, 1966-1997
    Carlton Priest Nunemaker (1924-2002) was born in Bay Head, New Jersey and was the son of Carlton Priest, Sr. and Hunter Purcell Nunemaker. He moved to Nags Head in 1947 and ran a fish, groceries and hardware business and owned Nags Head Ice and Storage. He was active in the Town of Nags Head, serving on the board of commissioners, and as mayor in 1968. This collection contains materials pertaining to Carl Nunemaker and his involvement with the Town of Nags Head. Some of these include items on elections, appointing town officials, zoning and political issues. There are also materials from Nunemakers' involvement on the Nags Head Sewer and Water Authority, Dare County Soil and Conservation and as fire chief for the Town of Nags Head. The clippings relate mostly to saving Jockey's Ridge State Park from development and various issues with the Town of Nags Head. (.4 cubic feet)

O

  • O'Neal, Warren, Papers, 1962 - 1981
    Warren R. O'Neal was born in Manteo in 1910. His boatbuilding career began in 1925, when, at the age of 15, he built a flat bottom skiff. In the 1950's, Warren pulled long nets, shrimped in the off-season and carried sports fisherman in the summer months on the Pearl, a wooden, flat-bottom boat named after his wife, Pearl Daniels O'Neal. In 1959, he built the Pearl II, incorporating a deep V-shaped hull to allow for increased speed and the ability to plow through rough seas with ease. He built numerous sports fishers, small boats and skiffs. His boats remain popular and many craftsmen in boatbuilding worked with the O'Neal Boatworks at one time. The materials in this collection relate to the O'Neal Boat Works and several aspects of the boat building business. Warren O'Neal is credited with building the first modern sport fishing boat in Dare County in 1959, known as the Carolina Boat. There are photographs of some of O'Neal's boats as well as several sketches. There are also financial documents relating to O'Neal Boat Works, including a boatbuilding ledger documenting the cost of materials and an accounts receivable ledger. Exhibit materials include clippings, a piece of stationary, a postcard and an invitation. (.2 cubic feet cubic feet)
  • Outer Bankers To Be Remembered by David Stick Manuscript Collection, 1840 - 2005
    Outer Bankers To Be Remembered is a collection of nineteen biographical narratives of men and women whose lives have impacted the Outer Banks. Written by author, historian and founding benefactor of the Outer Banks History Center, David Stick, the biographies include individuals who lived between the years 1840 and 2005. The collection includes information on family background, personal profiles, professional and volunteer work, and contributions to Outer Banks communities. (20 items)
  • Outer Banks Architecture Survey, 2001
    In 2001, the North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office (NC-SHPO) received a federal grant to survey structures on Roanoke Island, and the Dare County and Currituck County Beaches. The Outer Banks Conservationists added to the federal funds and managed the project. The survey was conducted by architectural historian Penne Smith Sandbeck, former employee of the NC-SHPO. The Outer Banks Architecture Survey Collection documents the efforts of North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office in their attempts to survey local architecture on the Outer Banks. The reports not only document those structures that should be recommended for the National Register of Historic Places, but to also get a better sense of what styles of architecture are regional and how the overall vernacular landscape has evolved and changed. (250 items, 1.5 cubic feet.)
  • Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce Records, 1967 - 1988
    The Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce is a nonprofit membership organization representing 1,100 businesses on North Carolina's Outer Banks. The service area includes Currituck County, Dare County, including Hatteras Island, and Ocracoke Island in Hyde County. The Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce Records include meeting minutes and agendas, correspondence, newspaper clippings, press releases, membership lists, and information on grants. (2.31 cubic feet)
  • Outer Banks Forum for the Lively Arts Records, 1992-2009
    The mission of the Outer Banks Forum for the Lively Arts is to promote an appreciation of, and involvement in, the performing arts on the Outer Banks and nearby areas through the presentation of an annual series of affordable concerts by diverse artists. The Forum is a non-profit organization and provides opportunities for youth to participate in the arts. The Forum's season runs from September to May. All performances are partially underwritten by community businesses. The Outer Banks Forum for the Lively Arts Records contain financial records, correspondence, meeting minutes, newspaper clippings, photographs, information on grants, performers, and programs. (5.17 cubic feet)
  • Outer Banks History Center Advisory Committee Records Collection, 1989 – 2000 (PDF)
    The Outer Banks History Center Advisory Committee was formed in 1987 to serve as a panel of expert advisors to the Director of the Division of Archives and History in Raleigh and the Curator of the newly formed Outer Banks History Center in Manteo regarding administration of the center. Advisory Committee members addressed matters dealing with operations, acquisitions, exhibits and expenditures from an annual designated distribution from the Outer Banks Community Foundation. Later, another support group, the Outer Banks History Center Associates (now the Friends of the Outer Banks History Center) was created to provide financial and volunteer support for the Outer Banks History Center as well as facilitating important acquisitions and steering special projects. With its goals achieved, the Advisory Committee decided to disband in 2000 due to the growth of the Outer Banks History Center, development and training of its staff, and the center’s transfer to the State Archives which would provide the expert advice needed moving forward.This collection contains organizational papers, committee minutes, correspondence, and financial records. (1 box of materials, .25 cubic feet, 9 folders.)
P-S

P-S

P

  • Paradise Preserved Research Materials, 1965-1966
    Born in 1919 in Johnston County and raised in Statesville, Bill Powell attended Mitchell College for two years before transferring to the University of North Carolina. He graduated in 1940, entered the U.S. Army, and served in the military intelligence branch in the Pacific Theater during World War II. He returned to Chapel Hill after the war to earn degrees in history and library science. He worked as a research historian at the North Carolina Department of Archives and History, became assistant librarian at the North Carolina Collection at UNC, and in 1958, he was promoted to curator. In 1973, he became a professor of history at the university. In addition to his work with the institutions mentioned, he has also written or edited numerous volumes of state and local history. This collection contains materials relating to the researching and writing of Powell's book, Paradise Preserved: A History of the Roanoke Island Historical Association. (ca. 200 items)
  • Pea Island Lifesavers Commemoration Papers, 1995 - 1999
    On March 5, 1996, Richard Etheridge and his crew of six from the Pea Island Lifesaving Station, the only African American U.S. Life-Saving Service crew in the nation's history, were honored posthumously with a Gold Lifesaving Medal of Honor. Virtually ignored for almost a century, it took the tenacity of a 15 year-old middle school student from Washington, N.C. to help shed light on their brave efforts. Kate Burkhart not only wrote an award-winning essay addressing the slighted crewmen, but she also lobbied members of Congress and President Bill Clinton to honor the members of the Pea Island station. The collection consists of correspondence, invitations, speeches, magazines, newspaper clippings, programs, photographs and a video. (.4 cubic feet)
  • People's Ice and Storage Company Records, 1923-1930
    The People's Ice and Storage Company opened in 1923 across from Dough's Creek, in downtown Manteo. The site was later referred to as Ice Plant Island. A board of directors for the company was established on August 30, 1923. Officers included M. L. Daniels, chairman protem; C. S. Meekins, secretary protem; E. H. Peel, president; E. F. Wise, vice-president; and, W. B. Fearing, treasurer. Other members of the board of directors included T. A. Dough, G. L. Midgett, M. K. Fearing, and Joe Tom Daniels. The plant's first engineer was M. A. Daniels. The company was most likely foreclosed on between 1931-1932. After being sold and resold under foreclosure proceedings for more than a year, it was purchased at a final sale by E. F. Wise and his brother Clarence E. Wise, who made plans to refurbish the plant with new machinery. The site of People's Ice and Storage Company is now home to the Outer Banks History Center and Roanoke Island Festival Park. The People's Ice and Storage Company Records consist of correspondence, tax returns, canceled checks, invoices, packing slips, deeds, stock certificates, and business licenses. (.67 cubic feet)
  • Primitive Baptist Church Records, 1830-2001
    Elim Church (Regular Baptist) in Powells Point, North Carolina was formed in the early 1800s from members of Coinjock Church. Elim became a member of the Kehukee Baptist Association in 1831, having previously been associated with the Chowan Baptist Association. Eight members of Elim Church who lived on the "North Banks" across the sound from Powells Point asked for a letter of dismission for the purpose of starting a new church. The request was granted, and on August 26, 1854 a new church, Providence Church, was established at Kitty Hawk. The Primitive Baptist Records contain correspondence, ledger books, newspaper clippings, and session books from Elim and Providence Primitive Baptist churches. (1 cubic feet)

R

  • Roanoke Island Camps Records, 1946 - 1973
    Roanoke Island Camps, in Manteo North Carolina, was in operation from 1946 to the early 1970s and was located on Airport Road at the present-day site of the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island and the Manteo Airport. The camp site was constructed in the early 1940s, shortly before the United States' involvement in World War II, and was used as a Navy barracks during the war. After the war, the barracks were converted to a camp site. It hosted a number of different organizations from all over North Carolina, such as 4-H, Girl Scouts of America, Boy Scouts of America, developmentally challenged groups, as well as football camps. It was also used to house members of The Lost Colony outdoor drama. The Roanoke Island Camps Records contain correspondence, insurance claims, invoices, tax returns, payroll records, bank statements, and canceled checks. (6.04 cubic feet)
  • Robeson County, N.C., Abstracts of Deeds, 1982 - 1986
    Robeson County, named for Revolutionary War officer Colonel Thomas Robeson, is located in the southeast section of North Carolina. It was formed in 1787 from part of Bladen County and is approximately 948 square miles. The county seat is Lumberton. This collection consists of four volumes of abstracts of deeds from Robeson County 1787-1801. They were transcribed by Jason McLeod Williamson between 1982-1986. (4 items)
  • Rogers and Shannon Family Papers, 1902-1970
    This collection relates to the family of Aubrey E. Rogers of Elizabeth City and the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Aubrey Rogers (1925-2005) was born in Manteo, North Carolina, to Marvin and Janie Shannon Rogers. He graduated from Oak Ridge Military Institute and attended East Carolina Teachers College and Virginia Tech. He served in the U. S. Army Air Corp during World War II and in the U. S. Air Force during the Korean War and Vietnam War. He retired with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. The Rogers and Shannon Family Papers contain marriage certificates, high school and college diplomas, and photographs relating to the Rogers and Shannon family in the Elizabeth City and Outer Banks of North Carolina. (.70 cubic feet)
  • Ross, Virginia, Papers, 1951-1997
    Virginia Ross moved to the Outer Banks with her husband and children in 1975 from Washington D.C. She belonged to many conservation groups and conducted her own ecological study of the Outer Banks. Her vast horticultural knowledge enabled her to act as a consultant to the book Wildflowers of the Outer Banks. Mrs. Ross spent many hours identifying and classifying Aycock Brown photographs for David Stick. The Virginia Ross Papers consist of materials relating to her various research interests on the Outer Banks including horticultural, ecology and conservation. (.6 cubic feet)
  • Russell, Colonel Charles Lambert, Journal, January 1, 1862 – February 7, 1862 (PDF)
    Colonel Charles L. Russell was born in Litchfield, Connecticut, July 25, 1828. During the Civil War he was placed in command of the 10th Connecticut Infantry Regiment and died on the field during the Battle of Roanoke Island, February 8, 1862. He ordered his men to lie down to become less susceptible to gunfire, but ignored the pleas of his subordinates to do the same. This collection consists of a journal in 4 unbound signatures and 1 folder of supplementary items, including a photocopy of the journal along with biographical and historical information photocopied from published sources. The journal begins on January 1, 1862 at Annapolis, Maryland. Russell recorded his observations and experiences from the mundane to the sublime while part of the Burnside Expedition, an assembly of eight-odd ships loaded with men, armaments and supplies, that sailed down the Chesapeake Bay to Fort Monroe in Hampton Roads and then into the open ocean to Hatteras Inlet. The expedition took part in the two-day Battle of Roanoke Island, February 7 and 8, 1862, where Russell received a fatal gunshot wound. (.25 cu. feet)

S

  • 33GRF-25 Sand Dollar Motel Photographs, 1957-1985 (PDF)
    The Sand Dollar Motel, 1957 -1985, was a popular oceanfront vacation spot in Nags Head near milepost 13.5. The collection of buildings that made up the motel was originally known as Howell’s Cottages built by Gordon Kellogg for W.D. “Willie” Howell in 1951. Jewel Graves bought it in 1957 and renamed the facility “The Sand Dollar Motel.” She was the proprietress until the facility closed in 1984 and sold the next year. The Sand Dollar Motel was burned down as a fire training exercise in 1985 with permission of the new owner.This collection consists of 24 images of Jewel Graves, guests participating in activities, and buildings. Electronic scans of the collection are also available for viewing on the Outer Banks History Center public access computer.
  • St. Andrew's By The Sea Episcopal Church Papers, 1936 - 1997
    On August 18, 1850, a sound side Episcopal chapel, All Saints, was consecrated in Nags Head, North Carolina to cater to the growing population of merchants, planters, and businessmen who brought their families to spend the summer at the resort. The chapel was torn down in 1865 by order of Union Forces' General Ambrose Burnside, in order to use the lumber for the freedmen's colony on Roanoke Island. Under the leadership of Rev. Robert B. Drane, D.D., a compensation of $700 was paid by Congress for the loss of the church. A new church was constructed and consecrated on August 16, 1916. The new church was called St. Andrew's By The Sea. The church was moved to its current spot in 1937. Several additions to the church have been made through the years. A new sanctuary was completed and dedicated in 2003. The St. Andrews By The Sea Episcopal Church Records contain correspondence, photographs, newspaper clippings, vestry meeting minutes, treasurer's reports, church bulletins, and sermons. (3.88 cubic feet)
  • Scott, Suzanne, Sportfishing Boat Interiors Scrapbook (PDF)
    Suzanne Scott ran a small interior design business during the 1970s. She gained several clients through Davis Yachts when a need arose to have the cabins of sport fishing boats decorated. The collection contains 1 scrapbook with boat plans and photographs of interiors of sportfishing boats built by Davis Boat Works and decorated by Suzanne Scott. (1 scrapbook)
  • Shriner, Sara Papers, 1947 - 1993
    Sara Greene Shriner (1904-2003) was born in New Bern, North Carolina. She moved to the Washington, D. C. area in 1929 to attend the nursing program at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. After graduating in the early 1930s, she spent a decade working at Walter Reed as well as taking private-duty jobs, among them one with The Lost Colony drama. Throughout her life, Shriner had an affinity for the Outer Banks and collected materials about the area's history.
  • Steer, Helen Vane, Lost Colony Script and Notes Collection (PDF) 
    Helen Vane Steer (1926 - 2001) came to Roanoke Island for two weeks in May of 1985 to serve as a dialect coach to the cast of The Lost Colony drama. The British-born Steer, an associate professor at East Carolina University, guided the cast in the use of dialect and accents of Devonshire, Cockney and aristocratic British. This collection consists of the finding aid, an annotated script, a personal data sheet, recommendation for promotion, and associated notes about Steer’s work at the Lost Colony. (.25 cubic feet)
  • Stick, Ada Maud Hayes Papers 1889-1972 (PDF)
    Ada Maud Hayes Stick (1889-1972) was born and raised on the eastern shore of Maryland and Delaware. At the age of 18, she began working as an artist's model at Howard Pyle's art institute in Wilmington, Delaware. Maud's classic beauty made her one of Pyle's most sought after models. It was here that she met illustrator and writer Frank Stick in 1906. They were married in 1908. While at the Pyle school, Maud continued to model for Frank and other Pyle school students. One of them, W. H. D. "Bill" Koerner, along with his wife Lillian, became close, lifelong friends of the Sticks. Maud was the model for one of Koerner's most famous paintings, ""The Madonna of the Prairie,"" completed in 1921 and used as an illustration for Emerson Hough's story "The Covered Wagon" serialized in the Saturday Evening Post. Maud depicted the story's heroine, Molly Wingate. Maud shared her husband's love of the outdoors and they enjoyed hunting, fishing, and camping together in the wilderness. They spent 1912-14 living in a remote cottage in northern Wisconsin, and then lived in the Chicago area, Wilmington, Del., and Interlaken, N.J., until discovering the Outer Banks in the mid-1920s. In 1909, Maud gave birth to their first child, Charlotte. In 1919, the Stick's second child David was born. That birthing left her deaf and she would depend upon a hearing aid for the rest of her life. David Stick would become a noted author, historian, community leader, and founding benefactor of the Outer Banks History Center. Beginning in 1929, the Sticks made the Outer Banks their primary home for the rest of their lives. Maud died in Kitty Hawk, N.C. in 1972 after a long illness, having lost both Charlotte and her beloved Frank before her.

  • Stick, David, Hurricane Research Materials, 1953 - 1961
    North Carolina was affected by several hurricanes in the mid-1950s, chiefly Hurricane Hazel (1954) and Hurricanes Connie, Diane and Ione (1955). While the Outer Banks were not affected by the these hurricanes as much as southern portions of the state, a series of nor'easters in the winter and early spring of 1956 caused shoreline erosion and damage to homes and businesses. The Nags Head Chamber of Commerce called a public meeting on April 12, 1956, at which a committee was formed to determine whether damage from recent storms had been severe enough to justify requesting Governor Luther Hodges to designate this as a "Major Disaster Area." The seven member committee included T. H. Briggs, George Crocker, Robert Gunn, H.C. Lawrence, Lucille Purser, Lawrence Swain and David Stick. Stick was made chairman of the committee, which recommended that the Northern Dare beaches be declared a disaster area. The Dare County Board of Commissioners then appointed a permanent Dare County Storm Rehabilitation Committee made up of the members of the ad hoc Chamber of Commerce committee and seven others. In May, 1956, David Stick wrote and organized the booklet Handbook for Erosion Control: What the Individual Property Owner can do to Protect his Beachfront, that was published the following month by the committee, followed by Presenting the Need for Hurricane Protection for the Outer Banks of North Carolina. (.77 cubic feet)
  • Stick, Frank, Cancer Research Papers, 1930 - 1955
    Frank Stick (1889-1966), artist, developer and naturalist had an interest in cancer, believing that diet could cause a factor in its development or prevention. Stick's interest in, and research about, cancer was conducted during his early years in Dare County. Contains articles about cancer, correspondence and photos. It also contains a manuscript called Cancer: A Preventable Disease as well as drafts and a suggested diet. (42 items)
  • Stick, David, "An Outer Banks Reader" Research Papers, 1992 – 1998 (PDF)
    An Outer Banks Reader is a collection of essays and articles by various authors on topics related to the history and culture of the Outer Banks. The writings were selected and edited by author David Stick and published by the University of North Carolina Press in 1998. Some topics covered in the book include natural history, social history, early exploration, shipwrecks, and military history.
  • Stick, Frank, Papers, 1946 - 1955
    Frank Leonard Stick (1884-1966) was born in Huron, Dakota Territory (now South Dakota) to David Leonard and Lydia Jane Marcellus Stick. Frank Stick was a well known artist and illustrator, whose artwork graced the front of calendars, book jackets, advertisements, and the pages of such publications as Sports Afield , Outdoor AmericaField and Stream, and Leslie's Weekly Illustrated. In addition to illustrations, he also submitted hunting and fishing articles to many of these same magazines. In 1908, he married Ada Maud Hayes, who he met as a student at the Howard Pyle School where she was a model for the artists. Together they had two children, Charlotte in 1909 and David, who became a noted Outer Banks author, historian, and community leader and philanthropist, in 1919. Though best known for his outdoor illustrations, Frank Stick later sold real estate and developed land after moving to North Carolina's Outer Banks in the mid-1920s. Stick was also an ardent conservationist and played a major role in establishing both the Cape Hatteras National Seashore and the Virgin Islands National Park. The Frank Stick Papers contain correspondence, newspaper clippings, magazines, bank statements, income tax returns, cancelled checks, court proceedings, and the last will and testaments of Frank Stick and his wife Maud Hayes Stick. (1.9 cubic feet)
T-W

T-W

T

  • Tames, Michael Civil War on Hatteras and Roanoke Islands Collection, 1861 - 1865 (PDF)
    Michael ("Mike") Tames is an antiques and post card collector, Civil War and local history enthusiast, and long-time resident of Roanoke Island, N.C. He acquired this collection of Civil War letters over a period of nearly three decades, a letter, or grouping of letters, at a time. He maintains a web site, "The Civil War on Roanoke Island" that includes his personal story and vast research he has done. This collection, or assemblage, of letters encompasses 85 letters from the Civil War period written by, or to, servicemen from Union and Confederate sides, along with 15 related documents, copies of Mike Tames' research papers, and a CD-ROM disk. Materials are chiefly about engagements very early in the war: 1) on and near Hatteras Island, August, 1861; 2) the Battle of Roanoke Island, Feb. 7 and 8, 1862; and, 3) other engagements in northeastern North Carolina. (113 items)
  • Transcriptions of U. S. Census Records of Columbus County, N.C., 1987 - 1988
    Columbus County, named for Christopher Columbus, is located in the southeast section of North Carolina. It was formed in 1808 from parts of Brunswick and Bladen counties and is approximately 954 square miles. The county seat is Whiteville. This collection consists of three volumes of U. S. Census records of Columbus County from 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, and 1880. They were transcribed by Jason Williamson in 1987-1988. (3 items)
  • Tugboat Maryland Collection, 1938 - 1974
    The tug Maryland was a ship of the Norfolk, Baltimore and Carolina Line and was engaged in towing barges in interstate commerce. This small collection encompasses various documents concerning the tugboat Maryland, mostly pertaining to licensing, maintenance, inspections and expenses. (38 items)

U

  • U. S. Army Signal Corps, Cape Lookout, Records of Correspondence and Daily Journals, 1876 - 1885
    The U. S. Army Signal Corps was first established on June 21, 1860 when army doctor Albert James Myer proposed the army use his visual communication system called "wigwag." In addition to visual signaling, the electric telegraph became a signal corps responsibility in 1867. Within twelve years, the Signal Corps had constructed, and was maintaining, some 4,000 miles of telegraph lines along the country's western frontier. Weather forecasting and military communications were among its many responsibilities. The Signal Corps established an office at Cape Lookout around 1876. This collection contains the Cape Lookout station's logbooks, which features records of incoming and outgoing communications, as well as daily journals. (7 items)
  • U. S. Lifesaving Service Wreck Reports and Payroll Records, 1892 - 1929
    The United States Lifesaving Service (USLSS) was created by the United States Government in 1872 in order to protect lives and shipping interests along the coast. In 1874, the first lifesaving stations were built along the North Carolina coast. These stations housed a staff that consisted of a keeper and crew of six, manning the stations during the active storm season from December to March. After the wrecks of the Huron, with 103 lives lost, and the Metropolis, with 85 lives lost, both off the Outer Banks, the Lifesaving Service added an additional eleven stations to the North Carolina coast. They also extended the station's season to September 1-May 1 and then from August 1-May 31. By the time the U.S. Lifesaving Service merged with the U.S. Revenue Cutter Service to form the U. S. Coast Guard in January 1915, North Carolina was home to 29 stations. Among these was the Pea Island Lifesaving Station, which housed the nation's only all black crew. This collection contains wreck reports, payroll records, abstracts of disbursements, books, journals, leases, letters of application and recommendations, livestock forage bills, contracts, requisitions for repairs, telegrams, and correspondence of the United States Lifesaving Service. The majority of these papers relate to the stations along the North Carolina coast, however, there are wreck reports for selected stations in Virginia, South Carolina, and Florida. (15.09 cubic feet)

W

  • Wade, Charles B., Jr., Papers, 1978-1987
    In 1978, North Carolina Governor Jim Hunt appointed Charles B. Wade, Jr. to America's 400th Anniversary Committee (AFHAC), which was created to plan the celebration of the quadricentennial of the Roanoke Voyages. Wade, a native of Carteret County, was a graduate of Duke University and vice-president of the R. J. Reynolds Company. He was selected to head up an AFHAC sub-committee to build a ship similar to those on which the colonists would have sailed during their journey from England to Roanoke Island. Governor Hunt hoped this ship could become one of the cornerstones of the quadricentennial celebration. The committee eventually chose to model the ship after the Elizabeth, a 50-ton, square-rigged, three-masted bark. Naval architect Stanley Potter was hired to design the ship and O. Lie-Nielsen of Rockland, Maine was awarded the contract to build the vessel. Construction began in 1982 on the site of Roanoke Island boat building pioneer George Washington Creef's old boat works, which had been donated to the town of Manteo by Creef's heirs. Measuring 69 feet long, 17 feet wide, and drawing eight feet of water, the Elizabeth II was launched in November 1983, and is now the centerpiece of Roanoke Island Festival Park. The Charles B. Wade, Jr. Papers consist primarily of Wade's correspondence from the AFHAC sub-commitee and meeting minutes. (.38 cubic feet)
  • Wahab, R. Stanley, and Family Papers, 1931 – 2005 (PDF)
    Robert Stanley Wahab, Sr. (1888 – 1967) was born on Ocracoke Island, February 3, 1888 to Hatton and Martha Howard Wahab, and was descended from two of the island’s early families. He spent his youth on Ocracoke Island where his textbooks came from shipwrecks and his father served in the U.S. Lifesaving Service at the Cedar Hammocks station. After tours at sea, business college, and positions in retail businesses, education and accounting, Wahab and an associate formed the company Retail Store Services in 1927, a furniture buying cooperative for high-end furniture stores that had limited buying power alone. While running that business until 1947, he built the Wahab Village Hotel in 1936, Ocracoke’s first modern hostelry. The Wahab Village expanded to become a resort including a campground, hunting and fishing club, rental cottages, and a dinner and dancing club, the “Spanish Casino.” Wahab also helped bring electrical and ice plants, telephone service and improvements to roads and the ferry service to Ocracoke. He was married three times and had three children. This collection consists of family history files and photographs; a large general ledger of R. Stanley Wahab’s business and personal affairs over a period of six decades, 1931—1994; and, an oversized item—a brochure from the Wahab Village (circa 1950s), resort promoting cottages, a campground, a hunting and fishing club, and boating with 22 photographs (some partial) and a map of Ocracoke Island, circa mid-1930s. Photographs primarily depict Ocracoke Island including many during and shortly after World War II. There is one heretofore unknown image of the Diamond Shoals Lightship. (.3 cu.ft.)
  • Ward, Alvah H., Jr., Papers, 1947 - 198
    Oregon Inlet is a dynamic body of water that connects the Atlantic Ocean with the Pamlico Sound, flowing between the northern Outer Banks and Hatteras Island. After Alvah Ward, Sr. mounted a ten-year, grassroots effort to have Oregon Inlet deepened, Congress finally authorized the Manteo-Shallowbag Bay navigation project. After Alvah, Sr.'s death, the Dare County Board of Commissioners asked Alvah Ward, Jr. to continue to pursue the Oregon Inlet deepening project. With the utilization of larger, more efficient vessels, navigation of a constantly shoaled Oregon Inlet began to curtail further industry expansion, and with continuing loss of life and property, vessel owners began to shun North Carolina ports altogether. At the request of industry and county government, Alvah, Jr. agreed to address the justification for the permanent stabilization of Oregon Inlet with a jetty system. Opposition by organized environmental groups throughout the nation emerged, led by the Department of the Interior who saw the loss of land required for anchoring the north jetty as a threat to their national mandates. Proper justification was presented repeatedly and finally Congressional approval for construction was granted in 1970. The Alvah Ward, Jr. Papers consist of maps, newspaper clippings, magazines, correspondence, photographs, pamphlets, briefs, and reports on Oregon Inlet, Wanchese Harbor, Wanchese Seafood Industrial Park, Manteo-Shallowbag Bay, the North Carolina Fisheries Association, and Federal Bureau of Commercial Fisheries. (6.32 cubic feet)
  • Watkins, A. H., Papers, 1936 - 1941
    Allen H. (A. H.) Watkins (1906-2003) was a Greensboro, North Carolina business man. In 1936, he began corresponding with Frank Stick and Theodore S. Meekins regarding the purchase of land on the Outer Banks in order to build a summer home. He bought land from the S. E. Tillett Company and began constructing a house in Kill Devil Hills in 1939. The structure was designed by Louis Voorhees, an architect based in High Point, North Carolina. Watkins corresponded with Frank Stick during much of the construction of his house. The A. H. Watkins Papers contains correspondence, blue prints, bank statements, canceled checks, and construction crew payroll records. (.88 cubic feet)
  • Whalehead Preservation Trust Records, 1992 - 2009
    The Whalehead Preservation Trust was established in 1993 as a non-profit 501 (C) (3) organization charged with safeguarding Currituck County's cultural heritage by preserving the Whalehead Club at Currituck Heritage Park in Corolla, North Carolina. The Whalehead Club was the hunt club and vacation home of industrialists Edward and Marie Louise Knight of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It was built between 1922 and 1925 in the art nouveau style, which was popular at that time. The club was sold and changed hands many times and served in various capacities. By 1992, the property was in a neglected state. The Whalehead Club was purchased by Currituck County. The Whalehead Trust was formed to ensure that the 21,000 square foot building would be restored. This collection contains correspondence, financial papers, meeting minutes, by-laws, blueprints, maps, and ephemera. (1.19 cubic feet)
  • Wilbur Wright Hotel Guest Register, 1939-1944 (PDF)
    The Wilbur Wright Hotel opened for business July 1, 1939 on the oceanfront in the vicinity of the Wright Brothers Memorial in present day Kill Devil Hills. It was built by Thomas A. Baum who operated a ferry service from Kitty Hawk to Point Harbor. Baum's daughter, Diane Baum St. Clair managed the hotel that hosted guests from across the country. The Wilbur Wright Hotel featured the First Flight Dining Room which served over 1,000 meals in season. Recreational and children's activities were available for guests. It was destroyed by a waterspout in 1978. This collection consists of a single bound guest register, which lists guests and visitors to the Wilbur Wright Hotel, giving each person's name, place of residence, room number and date and time of arrival and departure. (1 item.)
  • WNHW (Wanchese, N.C.) Radio News Stories Collection, 1990 - 1996
    WNHW is a radio station located in Wanchese, North Carolina. It serves the Elizabeth City and Nags Head, North Carolina listening market. This collection consists of news stories read over the air between 1990-1996 and is arranged chronologically. (.60 cubic feet)
  • Women's Association of the Duck Woods Country Club Records, 1986 - 2001
    The Duck Woods Country Club was founded in the mid-1960s under the original name Outer Banks Recreation Association and Duck Woods Golf Course. The name was changed to the Duck Woods Country Club in 1988. The Women's Association was originally called the Outer Banks Recreation Association Women's Auxiliary until 1987, when the name was changed to Women's Association of the Duck Woods Country Club. The purpose of the Women’s Association is to serve as a center of interest among the women of the club by promoting social and recreational activities for members, encouraging friendship among these women, and supporting those activities which are in the best interest of the Country Club and the community. The Women's Association of the Duck Woods Country Club Records consists of newspaper clippings, newsletters, photographs, yearly histories, meeting minutes; and annual reports. There is a gap from 1992 to 1995. (1.23 cubic feet)
  • Wright Memorial Bridge Company and Kitty Hawk Company Records, 1929 - 1958
    The Kitty Hawk Company was formed in 1929 with the chief purpose of constructing a toll bridge over the Currituck Sound from Point Harbor to Kitty Hawk, to collect tolls, and to develop land in the Kitty Hawk beach area. This included selling lots, building roads, and providing necessary infrastructure to the development. On July 7, 1930, the Wright Memorial Bridge Company was formed with the same purposes as the Kitty Hawk Company. This collection includes a notebook of meeting minutes of the Wright Memorial Bridge Company and the Kitty Hawk Company, as well as stock certificates, financial records, and correspondence. (.24 cubic feet)