Academic Transcripts of Defunct Colleges

Academic Transcripts of Defunct Post-Secondary Schools and Colleges

The State Archives of North Carolina has custody of the student academic and (in some cases) financial aid records of a number of defunct proprietary, church-supported, or other non-public post-secondary schools and colleges in North Carolina. A list of these academic institutions is available. Pursuant to authority granted by the General Statutes of North Carolina and under an agreement with the Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina, the Archives is empowered to issue certified copies of student transcripts from these schools.

If your educational institution is requesting documentation for the possible disposition of your academic records as a part of your application process, read more about Disposition of Academic Records.

How to Request Copies of Student Records

In compliance with the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), which defines student records as confidential, the State Archives must have a written request from the student before copies of records can be issued. Official school transcript request forms signed by the student or personal letters of request are acceptable. A xerographic copy of a student's signature will not be accepted. No first party requests for transcripts will be accepted by telephone, fax, or e-mail, nor can the State Archives provide "while you wait" copies of transcripts. Third party transcript requests from an accredited educational agency or institution will be accepted with an original signature or with an electronic signature, if it is accompanied by a statement that the request complies with FERPA guidelines. All copies of transcripts will be sent by U.S. mail. Transcript requests must include the name of the school or college attended and the city in which it was located, the full name of the student as it appears in the student files, social security number, date of birth, dates of attendance, course of study, a complete address where the transcript is to be mailed, and the student's current mailing address. Requests should be directed to:

Please mail your request to our mailing address:

State Archives of North Carolina
Attn: Transcript Requests
4614 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, N.C. 27699-4614 

For all queries about the transcript ordering process, please contact:

Erin Fulp
4614 Mail Service Center

A printable version of the Academic Transcript Request form is available in a PDF (Portable Document Format).


Academic Transcripts

A non-refundable fee of $2.00 for each copy must accompany requests for academic transcripts. The fee is $2.00 per copy; requests for multiple copies should include payments in increments of $2.00 (i.e., $4.00 for two copies, etc.). The State Archives cannot accept estimated payments or payments in excess of the correct fee. Checks and money orders should be made payable to the North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources.

For Verification Companies

The State Archives of North Carolina can perform a telephone or e-mail verification for students who attend one of the closed colleges for which we have records. We can provide the following informatioin during a verification:

  • Name during attendance
  • Name and location of school
  • Dates of attendance
  • Graduation status
  • Degree received

Under federal guidelines outlined in FERPA, we cannot provide any futher information regarding courses, grades, or honors without the signed consent of a former student.

To initiate the verification request, please choose one of the following options:

  • Telephone: Please call our main line at 919-814-6840
  • Email: Please email Erin Fulp, at

You must have the following information ready when starting the verificiation request:

  • The student's name when enrolled; please provide all possible last names
  • The school and the city where it was located
  • The student's approximate dates of attendance or date of graduation
  • The student's date of birth and the last four digits of their Social Security number

Disposition of Academic Records Request

In the event that a private proprietary, church-supported, or other non-public post-secondary school or college should cease to operate, the State Archives of North Carolina can act as the repository for that school’s records with prior approval from the State Archives registrar. The State Archives registrar can generate a letter to signify the State Archives' willingness to retain their college or school records during the application process for proprietary schools with the University of North Carolina Board of Governors.

The following information will be required for this letter:

  • The name and address of the school in question;
  • Complete contact information for the person to whom such an approval letter be addressed;
  • Complete contact information of the person making the request, if different from above.

Questions regarding this process should be directed to the registrar of State Archives.

William H. Brown 
State Archives of North Carolina
4614 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4614

Financial Aid Transcripts

There is no fee for financial aid transcripts. Requests for financial aid transcripts must be accompanied by a Financial Aid Transcript form which can be obtained from the financial aid office at the college to which the student is applying.

Transfer Academic Records

The State Archives of North Carolina has custody of the academic records of certain defunct North Carolina post-secondary schools and colleges. If a closed school is part of a larger corporate body or institution that is still in business, the academic records of the closed school should be transferred to that governing institution. Only if the entire organization is permanently going out of business can the academic records be transferred to the State Archives.

If you need to transfer academic records from a defunct proprietary, church-supported, or other non-public post-secondary school or college that operated in North Carolina, please contact the organization records archivist:

Reference Unit
State Archives of North Carolina
4614 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-4614