State Records Center


State agencies may transfer records to the State Record Center for storage in accordance with an approved Functional Schedule for North Carolina State Agencies (2017) when the agency has an “Agency Transfer Agreement” that specifies the record series eligible for transfer. We accept records in paper (including oversized records like maps and building plans) and microform (whether film or fiche). Permanent electronic records pass through the SRC on their way to the State Archives for preservation. At the present time, electronic records that will be destroyed are to be maintained in the creating agency.

The SRC provides records storage and reference services to state agencies, licensing boards, and independent commissions. While the SRC does hold some county and university records, no new series are being accepted for transfer at this time. The SRC will not accept for storage records that are unscheduled or are unidentified.

Records transferred for storage in the SRC remain in the legal, official custody of the creating agency. Access to stored records is restricted to the creating agency's staff. Persons other than an agency's staff must contact that creating agency to receive written permission prior to using records in the SRC. More information about services for state agencies can be found on the Records Management Services and Training page and in the State Records Center Handbook.

Contact Information

Phone: (919) 814-6900
Fax: (919) 715-3627

Physical Location

215 N. Blount Street, 
Raleigh, N.C., 27699-4615

Transferring Records

What you need so that you can transfer records to the SRC

  • An approved records retention and disposition schedule and the item number for the records you’d like to transfer.
  • Our phone number: 919-814-6920.
  • Records in boxes purchased from us. Call us if you have records that will not fit in a regular box. Supply charges are as follows:
    • Letter boxes - $1 each (12" x 15" x 10.5", also called a cubic foot box)
    • Paper tape strips - $0.10 each (one per box)
    • Pre-printed labels - $0.02 each (one per box; generated from our database)
    • Transfer Request Form (RC-2), generated from our database
  • An appointment with us. Our staff will come to offices inside Raleigh. If you are located outside the city limits, you must make an appointment to deliver your records to us.

How to Box Records for Storage

  • Boxing Records Tutorial: This video walks North Carolina state agencies through the process of transferring records to the State Records Center for storage.
  • The box will be flat when you receive it. Expand it.
    • Look for the printed mark. Turn that end of the box up toward you.
    • Fold down the two short flaps.
    • Fold down the two long flaps. You should be able to see the printed mark.
    • Moisten the paper tape. Do not use any other kind of tape.
    • Apply the paper tape from handle to handle, making sure the flaps sit flat.
    • Look for the glued seam running from the bottom to the top of the box. Place that side away from you. The front of the box should have no seam.
  • Pull files out of the drawers. Leave hanging files in the drawers, and do not pack them in the boxes.
    • Place the files in the boxes, maintaining the same order as you had in the drawers.

      • Letter-sized files should be visible with the label facing you.
      • Legal-sized files will fit in the long way. You may file with the label to the left or right. Be consistent from box to box.
      • Fill the box, leaving about a fist's worth of room in the back.
      • Fill boxes as needed to contain one group of records (also called an item).
      • Do not place records from more than one series in one box.
  • Label the boxes. Place the label under the handle on the front of the box (the end with no seam).
    • Fill out the labels. List the first and last folder in the box. Add the box number (for example, Box No. 6 of 12).
    • Create a box list - a list of the contents of each box. It will make requesting records much easier. You keep a copy of the list. Choose to place one complete copy of the list for all boxes in box 1, or each box must have its own list.
  • Fold the top of the box, tucking in the corners. Do not tape the top of the box.
  • Fill out the Transfer Request Form (RC-2).
  • Call 919-814-6920. We will help you make the arrangements needed to get your boxes to the SRC.


We issue invoices each Friday. Invoices are sent to the central billing office for each department. If you need your invoice sent to you directly, just let us know.

Requesting Records

Requesting Records Stored Temporarily at the State Records Center: This video explains how state agencies can request retrieval of records they have stored temporarily at the State Records Center.

Call the Records Center at (919) 814-6920. We will discuss your needs. If you are on a tight deadline, let us know, and we will retrieve your records as quickly as possible.

RC-14: Records Retrieval Form

We will need to know:

  • Your name, office name and address, and phone number.
  • The item number attached to your records (see your records retention and disposition schedule).
  • The specific record being requested (a name, case number, box number, etc.).
  • The date of the records.

If you have a box list, filling out a request should be very easy. Some examples:

  • Jane R. Doe (separated 6/4/1998), item 5893, date 1998. Box 6 of 8, transferred 4/12/2004
  • Acme Plaster Plant (Case 2003-A9127), item 5867, date 1975. Box 292 of 309, transferred 8/12/1980
  • John Q. Public (or Quincy?) (released 8/29/2001), item 5873, date 2001. Box 4 of 5, transferred 2/1/2003

If you don't have information that detailed, fill out what you can. If we can't find what you need, we will call you.

You can provide written permission for anyone outside your office to do research with your records. You must write a letter that identifies the person (or people) who are being granted access. Identify the records they are allowed to see. Specify whether permission is granted for only review (reading, taking notes) or also copying of the records. You may also choose to have the records returned to your office so that you can help the researcher directly.